Monday, April 20, 2009

Bring What I Am Able


Chris Olson, Outreach Coordinator

Recently I've been reminiscing. As I reach the final 3 1/2 months my Lutheran Volunteer Corps year I am beginning to seriously consider what comes next. At times its seriously fun to consider all the options and at other times its seriously scary. Over the past few weeks I've experienced a number of coincidences that have allowed me to reminisce back to the time when I was considering applying for LVC. This year has granted me such an amazing space to explore myself, gain a new understanding of social justice and simplicity, and try new ways of living that's its a curious experience to reflect backwards. Thinking about where and who I was then and where and who I am now. Still the same, yet transformed as well.

The reflection leads to questions. Where do I go from here? What new changes and challenges will I face and how will they shape me? Where is God at work in my life right now and where am I being led? As I step out of my LVC community, how do I integrate all that I've learned into the "real world?" Now that I am so aware of the incredible injustices surrounding me, how do I live my life so that I am fighting those injustices and making the world a better place for all of creation?

While I was thinking about things from my past that helped lead me to where I am today I remembered one of my favorite songs/music videos that I was fairly obsessed with a couple years ago. The song is "World On Fire" by Sarah McLachlan. She chose to spend her $150,000 dollars slotted for a flashy, Hollywood music video instead on charities around the world which improve the lives of and empower marginalized groups of people. The video depicts what the money was budgeted for and where it went instead (Example: $5000 = cost of hair and makeup for one day but instead paid for one years schooling for 145 girls in Afghanistan).



The chorus is:

The world is on fire
It's more than I can handle
I'll tap into the water
Try and bring my share
Try to bring more, more than I can handle
Bring it to the table
Bring what I am able ...

As I think about where I was two years ago, where I am today, and where I am being led I can't help but be reassured that no matter how confusing or exciting or scary it may get...the best I can do, any of us can do, is bring what we are able. I am who I am and have been uniquely gifted and blessed and the most I can hope for is that I am giving the best of myself in whatever I do and with whoever I am spending time. We may not have $150,000 to give but we can let our love rain down over all of God's people and creatures and creations. That is why we are here. I may not always remember that as I get caught up in the rush of the next few months but maybe at this time next April, wherever I am, I will remember back to today, watch "World On Fire" for the umpteenth time, and recommit to bringing what I am able all over again.

No comments: