This week members of the U.S. House of Representatives are discussing the most important climate legislation in a generation, the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009. Earth Ministry Executive Director LeeAnne Beres is in Washington, DC now working to move this bill forward. We need your help today.
Please write or call your Representative (see http://www.house.gov/ to find yours) and urge him/her to act now to address the serious moral aspects of climate change. A contribution to Earth Ministry/Washington Interfaith Power & Light is another way of bringing the religious perspective to this debate in Congress. Our voice is vital to ensuring that the final bill has a strong cap on carbon and includes adequate funding provisions that protect poor and vulnerable populations.
Why This Bill is Important
The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, also known as the ‘Clean Energy Jobs Plan’, provides an opportunity for the U.S. to take a leadership role in the urgent global effort needed to stabilize the climate. The bill includes the key ingredients necessary for a transition to a clean energy future: energy efficiency, renewable energy, modernization of the electric grid, and a cap on greenhouse gas emissions. This important legislation will also develop green jobs through a program of worker training, education, and transition to support the growth of a clean energy economy.
Our Executive Director LeeAnne is in the nation’s capital right now with 54 other religious leaders from 29 states – all calling on our elected leaders to support the American Clean Energy and Security Act. She’s there as part of the national Interfaith Power & Light network, representing you and thousands of others like you who believe that we need action on climate change now.
What You Can Do to Help
1. Contact your U.S. Representative and ask them to support the American Clean Energy and Security Act for these reasons:
- Climate change is the most important moral issue of our time. We must love our neighbors as ourselves by protecting human communities and all of creation by passing strong climate legislation this year.
- The Clean Energy Jobs Plan moves us closer to energy, economic, and climate security. It will reduce carbon pollution that causes global warming, break our dependence on fossil fuel, and generate millions of clean energy jobs.
- Global warming requires a long-term moral response that embodies the hope, compassion and vision that people of faith strive to generate in our own lives and communities. The American Clean Energy and Security Act reflects these values and our elected officials should support it.
You can find your Representative and the best way to contact them through the search function on the website of the U.S. House of Representatives: http://www.house.gov/.
2. Make a donation to Earth Ministry/Washington Interfaith Power & Light to make sure your voice is heard in Washington, DC this week!
- $15 provides an information packet on the moral dimension of climate change to an elected official
- $30 provides that elected official with one of Earth Ministry’s creation care publications
- $75 subsidizes the cost of meeting with one elected representative on behalf of climate protection
- $300 covers one full day of advocating for God’s creation on Capitol Hill
You can make a secure donation online at http://www.earthministry.org/ or by calling (206) 632-2426.