Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Intern # 2 Enter Stage Right


Happy Summer!

My name is Mikaila Gawryn and although I'm new to the blog I've been around Earth Ministry for a while. Through school I've had the opportunity to work on a number of different projects with Earth Ministry and I am excited to be returning as an intern after finishing my degree in Environmental Studies at Seattle University. I am thrilled to be a part of this team and working on such important issues!

As a recent graduate it is safe to say that I'm in the process of rediscovering my non-academic interests. In keeping with the traditional bullets, here's the list so far:


  • Food Issues: Sustainability, Equity, Enjoyability & Community!
  • Simple living (and hopefully learning how to do this better!)
  • Sabbath: Keeping it and learning about it.
  • Empowerment: How does it happen? How can we make it happen?


In one of my last days at school I read a statement that shook me. Perhaps it is the time of transition that I'm currently in, or the reminiscing that transition often brings, but the words seemed to wake me up from something. Jose Ortega y Gasset said "Life is fired at us point blank". The imagery he evokes here is sharp and violent, except that it describes the giving of life instead of its end. It reminds me that so often the bad and the good, pain and mercy, injustice and redemption are experienced quiet closely to one another.

As I look at the pain and injustice in our world it is clear that peace for the earth is tied up with mercy and redemption of humanity. At the risk of sounding quite sentimental I am excited to be diving into where all of our futures converge.

Peace,

Mikaila
Earth Ministry Intern

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are all of us interns of one degree or another, Mikaila, some younger, some older, and all of traveling on the future's frontier. Go with God, and be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for your insights.