Thursday, March 19, 2009

Give Thanks in All Circumstances

By Deanna Matzen

I am recovering from wrist surgery this week, so must keep this short. This week for my Lenten prayers, I will be giving thanks to God as we are commanded to do in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

This verse has meant much to me over the last few years as I have struggled with many personal circumstances that seemed to stand in contrast to the good and loving God I worship. It has not really been until this last year that I have been able to give thanks to God in all circumstances, which I clearly demarcate from giving thanks for all circumstances, at least for now (I reserve the right to change my theology in the future).

What I have discovered is that like the tulips, daffodils, and crocuses emerging from the ground in the spring, life always emerges out of places that seemed full of death and darkness. That is the power and truth of the Gospel. So this week, let us give thanks to God for the gifts of creation, no matter the circumstances, having faith that God alone can and will bring life out of death.

No comments: