Saturday, February 16, 2008

Maiko: Fair Trade, It's More than Just a Name


From Maiko, Earth Ministry's Intern

Yesterday, I went to a café near my school, which is known for having their own brew machine. Of course, I ordered a chamomile tea which was labeled Fair Trade and had an organic certification. I enjoyed it while my friend enjoyed an Americana...

As I mentioned in my first blog, I am giving up non-Fair Trade coffee for Lent. To my surprise, it has not been difficult for me so far. Before I started this practice, I drank coffee first at my home in the morning and second at school in the afternoon. However, as time goes by, I really did not feel like drinking coffee that was not Fair Trade. How did that happen?

It happened because I learned about the work conditions of laborers on coffee farms in poor countries. Once I imagined the laborers working hard for an unlawful fee, I could not help avoid drinking any kinds of drinks which are not Fair Trade. So, I also try to avoid drinking non-Fair Trade tea as much as I can. Giving up non-Fair Trade coffee helps people working under unjust conditions. Learning how food choices affect other people around the world has gotten me to think about other food-related choices and their environmental impacts, but I will talk more about that another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this. I'm learning from you.