Thursday, March 20, 2008

Deanna: Do this in Remembrance of Me


From Deanna Matzen, Earth Ministry Operations Manager

My Lenten journey of not driving my car to work ended in the same way it started, a commute of near epic proportions. Even though it took me almost an hour and a half to get home by bus and foot yesterday, at least I was in a far better mood when I got home compared to the end of my first day. To make a long story short, I missed my first bus and decided to try a different route that turned out to be not as smooth or as quick as I had hoped. But I spent the extra time reflecting on Holy Week knowing that it was my turn to blog on Maundy Thursday.

I thought about the Last Supper and how Jesus' took the bread, broke it and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying "Drink from it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins." But then I remembered what a professor of comparative religion told me once, that as Jesus died on the cross, he died not only for humans but for creation too.

While Romans 8:22-23 tells us that is true, "We know that the whole creation has been groaning in labor pains until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves...", there was more substance to that truth than I had ever realized. He said that as Christ is both fully human and divine and his human death the final sacrifice for our sins. Through Christ's physical body, creation was redeemed.

Think of it, every cell within our bodies came from what we once ate or what our mothers once ate. And every piece of food is created out of the nutrition of soil, water, and sun. So as Christ's physical body died and was resurrected, all of creation was redeemed along with humanity. So as we eat of the bread and drink of the cup in remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection, we remember that just as Christ redeemed us, Christ redeemed creation.

It is so easy to lose hope for the restoration of our broken planet. But this Holy Week, let us remember every time we take communion that there is life for us and life for all creation through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Perhaps we all need to remember that on that same night the Jesus gave the disciples the sacrament of communion, the same night Jesus was betrayed, Jesus also washed the feet of the disciples as an act of servanthood. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, as I have loved you." Christ loved us and creation, therefore he died for our sins that we might have eternal life, today and forever. Let us love one another as Christ loved us, in service and in sacrifice.

A Blessed Holy Week to you all!
Carbon Saved: 125.3 lbs

No comments: