Thursday, March 27, 2008

LeeAnne: Every Moment’s Blessing

LeeAnne Beres, Earth Ministry Executive Director

Forty days of Lent. Nine hundred and sixty hours. Fifty-seven thousand, six hundred minutes. I wouldn’t be telling the truth if I said that I was calm, centered, and completely grounded for each of those minutes, but I can say I did my best to count every moment’s blessing.

My Lenten practice was to slow down, spend more time outdoors in creation, and make room to hear God’s voice in my life. It was a struggle at times, but one that has made me more aware of my ongoing need to live in and enjoy the now, rather than always planning for and worrying about what’s next.

I’ve prayed more, walked more, and tried to love more, including loving myself. As I said, it’s been hard. But every mindful moment has indeed opened my heart to the possibilities of grace, forgiveness, and reconciliation – all gifts from the One if we take the time to receive them.

O Eternal Now

I long to live in the present moment. I want to stop trying to control the hours so that new paths of inspiration are free to unfold within me. I want to remember that I have the potential to be a blessing in the lives of those with whom I live and work. Take my scattered thoughts, my fragmented moments. Breathe into them and draw them into your centered heart. Open my eyes that I may see the grace that waits for me in every moment. You are the Source of every moment’s blessing. Teach me to live awake.

~ from Seven Sacred Pauses, by Macrina Wiederkehr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your journey shows how much you have done spiritually. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. Bright blessings.